The banana flower is a large, dark purple-red blossom that grows from the end of a bunch of bananas. Its sizable bracts, or leaves, snugly enclose delicate. The banana flower is treated in several Asian and tropical cuisines as a vegetable. Hence this side dish is not only tasty but also medicinal!.
- Banana Flower - 1
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Green chillies (Chopped fine) - 1 tbsp
- Garlic Choped - 1 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Pearl Onion (sliced thinnly) - 1 cup
- Dry Red Chillies - 1-2
- Curry leaves - 1 Sprig
- Salt - To taste
- Remove the outer layer of the banana flower, Chop inner layers and flower finely, Rinse it with Little amount of turmeric powder and salt .Drain the water as much as possible (This is done in order that the vegetable does not oxidise and turn black immediately, and also to remove the sticky texture)
- Grind grated coconut, chopped green chillies, garlic and remaining turmeric powder. Keep it aside. Note: Do not grind too much, just mix well in a blender/mixer.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard and saute pearl onions, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add prepared banana flower and enough salt, add little amount of water and stir it well. Cover it with lid and cook for few minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the ground coconut (from step 2) to this and cover the coconut with cooked banana flower. Cover the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix it well, check taste for salt.
- Serve hot .