Stews have been made since ancient times. A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. Stewing is suitable for the least tender cuts of meat that become tender and juicy with the slow moist heat method. Appam and stew is a perfect combination for a breakfast or dinner...
See Appam here
- Chicken Pieces - 1 lb
- Potato - 1 Big
- Red onion [Sliced thinnly] - 1 Big
- Carrot - 1/2 cup cut in to small sizes
- Green Beans - 1/2 cup Cut in to small pieces
- Ginger (Choped) - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic Choped - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Green chillies (slit in half) - 2 - 3
- Cinnamon - 2 sticks
- Cloves - 4 nos
- Cardamom - 3-4 Nos
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Crushed Peper - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Milk -
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste -
Prepare Coconut Milk
- If you use fresh coconut, take one coconut, scrape it and put it into a bowl or you can use grated coconut which is available in grocery stores.
- Add 1/2 a cup of warm water and squeeze nicely by use your hands or use blender . Squeeze out the milk and strain. This is the first milk(thick) which is added after the Curry is cooked. Note: Do not boil after adding the first milk to the curry
- Now add a cup of water to the same grated coconut, squeeze it by hand or blender and take out the milk. This is the second milk(thin) .
- Cook the chicken with 1/2 tbsp of chopped ginger and garlic and enough salt in a pressure cooker [You can use canned chicken breast also. Meantime cut the potatoes , carrots and beans in to small cubes and cook separately
- Add coconut oil in a preheated bottom thick pot [Dutch Oven] and Splutter Cinnamon cloves and cardamom.
- Add sliced onion, saute for a minute [onion becomes soft and keep in mind that onions should not turn brown], add remaining ginger and garlic pieces, saute it , then add green chillies and finally curry leaves.
- Add Cooked Chicken pieces and Cooked potatoes, carrots and green beans in to it. Add '2nd milk'. cover it and bring it in to boil. Please don't forget to check the taste for salt, add salt if needed. Reduce the flame level when it reach boil . Stir occasionally Add a tsp of all purpose flour in to little amount of water and add in to the stew . This will help the gravy to thicken
- Reduce the flame in to lower level or switch it off if it is glass top cooking range.
- Add 'first milk'. Garnish with crushed pepper and few curry leaves.