Kadala is the Malayalam word for Chick Peas or Bengal gram. The curry made of this protein rich peas is one of the most popular vegetarian dish in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. One could find several varieties of this curry varying drastically in taste. The recipe given here is a popular one in Kerala, the southern most state in India, where it is widely used as side dish for breakfast dishes like Puttu and Appam.
- Chick Peas - 3 cups
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil - As required
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 2
- Sliced Coconut Pieces - 3 tbsp
- Sliced Red Onion - 1 Large
- Sliced Pearl Onion - 4
- Green chillies (slit in half) - 3
- Curry leaves - A sprig
- Red Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- To Roast and Grind to a paste
- Whole Spices - Fennel Seeds-1/4 tsp, cardamom- 3-4, Cloves 5-6, Cinnamon Stick - 1, Whole Pepper - 8-10
- Pearl Onion - 2 sliced
- Grated Cocunut - 3/4 cup
- To soften the Chick peas, soak it overnight.
- Cook the soaked peas along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and just over 3 cups water. Note that the remaining water is to be used for gravy, later (Check step 4).
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot enough, add the whole spices. Saute it for a few seconds. Add sliced pearl onions to the pan and saute again for another minute or so. Then add the grated coconut to this mixture. Roast until the color turns reddish brown. After this is cooled off, grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat some more oil in a deep pan and splutter mustard and dry red chillies. After a few seconds, add the sliced coconut in to it and saute it. Once the coconut turns brown, add sliced onion, pearl onion, green chillies, enough salt and curry leaves and continue sauteing. After the color turned bright brown, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Saute for a few more seconds and add water [Saved water from step 2] and boil it.
- Add the ground coconut paste (from step 3), and cooked Chick peas (from step 2). Mix well. Taste the gravy a bit to check the salt level and add more salt if needed.
- Cook until gravy achieves a thick gravy.