Sarkara Varatti is a unique snack from Kerala. It is sweet Version of plantain chips. It is a must dish for Sadya (feast) in all festive occasions and weddings in Kerala.
- Raw Plantains - 4
- Salt - A Pinch
- Turmeric - 1 Tsp
- Coconut Oil - As needed
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Water - As needed
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- Dried ginger powder - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cardamom - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Rice powder - 1/4 cup
- Add Turmeric Powder in to the vessel with water and keep aside.
- Peel the outer skin of the bananas and keep it immersed in the turmeric water for 15 - 20 minutes to remove the stickiness of plantain.
- Take out the plantain from the turmeric water. Cut it lengthwise thereafter, slice into slightly thick chunks, Dry the sliced pieces in a plate lined with paper napkin for couple of minutes.
- Heat Coconut oil in a deep frying pan on medium flame.When the oil is hot, Fry the sliced bananas making sure the pieces do not stick together. Add salt to oil. Occasionally stir to flip the pieces till chips are crisp and golden color .
- Once the Chips are fried enough, scoop these into a colander to oozed out excess oil. Spread these on paper napkin to cool. Let them cool well.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat jaggery and water till the jaggery melts. Strain this to remove any impurities. Add Sugar to this and reheat the strained syrup on a low Flame, stirring frequently till it reaches a thick consistency.
- Add the fried plantain pieces followed by dried ginger powder, cardamom powder, and cumin powder. Stir continuously.
- Sprinkle the rice powder over this until the pieces become crispy enough. Stir continuously.
- Transfer this to a wide plate and allow it to cool down completely and then store in an airtight container.